Monday, February 4, 2013

Photo Projects and Silly Notions

So . . . I have been in extreme diress for the past few weeks due to the fact that I did not have a project for my Studio Photography class this year. Actually, that is not true. I had an idea in my head since last semester. I liked it a lot. But when it came time to actually DO it, I made excuses. I wasn't really up for it. I was more entranced with the idea, I think, than actually making it a reality. So, once school started, I said to myself, okay, do this. And I didn't want to.

This gave me a lot of anxiety. I was thinking, doubting, arguing, chastising, hating, ignoring, anyting but photographing. Actually, I did photograph. But not for my project.

Then, in one of my other art classes, I shared how I was feeling about my photo class. How I cared a lot about this project but couldn't think of the right idea and was so stressed out about it. My instructor suggested instead of contiuning to THINK about my idea I should just DO. Just make photos. YES. Sometimes I forget the simplest things.

I skipped my photo class that day. I had printed some photos but I didn't love them, they weren't complete and I didn't feel like coming in empty handed. The next day I spent most of the day photographing. It was wonderful. It felt so good.

I am obsessed with making self portraits. I can't stop. Even though I don't think I'm that great at it, I want to be. I want to try new things with it. I have so many ideas I want to try. Right now, I'm drawn to mirrors/reflections and interesting body shapes. Maybe this isn't a "solid" project idea. But this is what I like. And I'm going to see where it goes. And stop being stressed and start learning about myself. Duh.

No comments:

Post a Comment